Mold Problems are always related to moisture in a home. Mold problems are the end result of many of the following issues in a home such as:
- Rainwater or ground water leaking into your home thru the roof, your walls, windows and wicking thru the foundation. This water intrusion often results in microbial growth, visible peeling of paint on walls, deteriorating wood and corrosive damage to metal studs such as rust.
- Plumbing leaks and accidental water leaks often are caused by poor design and installation. Often water spills are homeowner caused such as overloading a dishwasher or forgetting to shut of a faucet. Another issue is poor maintenance of your home. An example would be backup of your A/C Drain pipe. Another with be a sink leak that goes undetected for months.
- If the ground adjacent to your foundation of your home does not slope away from the wall, you can get water damage from water wicking into your foundation from rainwater. This will cause mold problems and mold will start to grow on the back of the drywall adjoining this area.
- Condensation is another source of microbial growth in a home. Temperature changes due to AC air leaks is another major contributor to this factor. If your AC Grills are leaking, you will develop dew-pointing at these areas. The end result is mold growth which means you will have mold problems in your home.
- Dishwashers are one of the main contributors to excess humidity and water leaks in a home. If you overload a dishwasher, many times the suds can back up and come thru the seals of the front door. This is not seen in many cases till it is too late and the damage is done to the cabinets. It is important to keep your humidity below 50% to help prevent possible microbial growth on paper in the home.
It is important to maintain your home, if you do not, the end result can be water damage or decay of your home. The decay or water damage is usually hidden till it is too late. Odors will start to emanate in an area at this point.
Water related issues can end with mold growth and can cause health problems for the occupants of the home. If you have any questions, feel free to call Safe Homes for a consultation at (954) 531-6476.